Downworlders or Shadowhunters
v Shadowhunters - Shadowhunters (also known as Nephilim) are the appointed warriors on Earth of the Angel Raziel. They are appointed specifically to control and preside over the demons and supernatural creatures that reside in our world. A thousand years ago Raziel bestowed the tools to accomplish this task.
v These tools are :
1. The Mortal Instruments—used so Shadowhunters may know truth, speak with angels, and make more of their kind.
2. The country of Idris—where Shadowhunters live away from demons and the mundane world.
3. The Book of Raziel (or “Gray Book”)—used by Shadowhunters to access the magic of angels to protect and augment themselves.
v Downworlders - Once demons began to trespass into the lives of humans, the waters of good and evil became muddied, and the muddied waters of humanity became Downworlders. Some Downworlders—warlocks and the fey—predate the Nephilim by untold years. But the youngest Downworlders, werewolves and vampires, are a relatively recent phenomenon.
1. Werewolves - Lycanthropy transforms a human into a Werewolf. Werewolves in their lupine form are not merely wolves. They possess unnatural strength and speed, and their claws and fangs are able to slash through a chain-line fence or bite through a padlock.
2. Vampires- Vampires are victims of another demonic infection, which turns them into drinkers of blood. They possess retractable razor-like fangs that are deployed when their bloodlust is roused. The act of drinking blood brings a rush of energy and vitality to the vampire.
3. Fairies – Fairies are the least understood of all magical people. They are people—they have souls. They are found in countless varieties, sizes, and types, and in all environments. The magic of the fey is unique in the world.
4. Warlocks- Warlocks are the offspring of demons and mundanes. All warlocks possess a “warlock mark” on their body that identifies them as not merely human. Warlocks possess the ability to perform magic – it is their magic that makes them the most powerful of Downworlders and the most closely tied to Shadowhunters, though, unlike Nephilim, warlocks inherently possess magic.